The capacitor in refrigeration equipment can deliver quiet a surprise!
I can still remember my first experience.
Just out of school, I was already a little nervous working with electricity. Therefore, I always checked and rechecked, making sure the power was off.
So you can imagine the shock (pun intended) I received when jolted by a charge while reaching for a motor.
What the heck! The power was off!
Then I saw it. Tucked away in the corner of the unit, a run capacitor.
Apparently my hand had brushed across the terminals of a charged unit.
They are like nasty little animals secretly waiting to strike. They look so innocent.
But they can literally hold quiet a shock. And create dangerous situations.
While the shock itself is usually harmless, the surprise could cause you to fall off a ladder, bang you head, jerk an arm into moving machinery...
So, what do I always do before working with or around them?
I always short them out.
What do I mean by "short them out?"
Simply place a screwdriver across the two sets of terminals.
You'll know if it was indeed charged and waiting to get you.
When you slide the screwdriver across the terminals, you'll hear a sharp crack and see a spark fly.
Now you can relax. It's truly dead.
No more nasty gotcha.
Working with electricity in refrigeration units requires constant awareness.
I want to know the equipment is dead, before I touch controls, wires, fuses, etc.
Do yourself a favor, always short out them out.
Besides, if you don't get hurt, it will certainly give everyone around you quiet a laugh, at your expense!
Copyright real-world-refrigeration.com 2008
The materials provided on this website are provided for general information
purposes only and do not constitute legal or other professional advise
on any subject matter. Real-world-refrigeration.com does not accept any
responsibility for any loss which may arise from reliance on information
contained on this site.